Reputable Nassau County Firm Seeks Compensation for Truck Accident Victims
Skilled New York lawyers represent seriously injured drivers and passengers
Because trucks are heavier and larger than cars, accidents involving trucks are much more likely to cause devastating injuries or loss of life. The attorneys at the Law Office of Frank J. Cassisi, P.C. in Mineola, New York step in after tragic accidents to help victims and their loved ones hold negligent parties accountable. We are well-versed in the particular challenges of going up against commercial vehicle companies and their insurers and defense counsel and we develop precise legal strategies to litigate these cases. Informed by more than 50 years of combined experience practicing law, we serve clients on Long Island and across New York City.
Knowledgeable counselors demonstrate fault in trucking accidents
Even with significant regulations placed on trucks by the state and by New York City, these vehicles can be incredibly dangerous due to their size, weight and limits on maneuverability. Common causes of truck accidents include:
- Driver fatigue — Truck drivers are known to work long shifts without adequate sleep. A study published by the U.S. Department of Transportation found that 13 percent of truck drivers involved in crashes were fatigued at the time of a collision.
- Distracted driving — Texting behind the wheel is one of the most prevalent forms of distracted driving. Talking on a phone or using any other communication or navigation device can also divert a driver’s concentration.
- Speeding — A trucker may speed to adhere to a tight deadline or simply to make up for delays.
- Drugs or alcohol — Studies have shown that some truckers take amphetamines or other stimulants to try to stay awake and energized behind the wheel, while other truckers may drink either behind the wheel or during rest breaks.
- Faulty equipment — An issue with a truck’s brakes, tires, steering mechanism, mirrors or any other component can create a serious safety hazard and might contribute to an accident.
- Improper cargo load — When cargo is not properly balanced or secured within a trailer, it could shift and possibly cause the vehicle to become unstable. Cargo insufficiently fastened on top of a flatbed could fall off and become a dangerous projectile or obstruction in the road.
- Another negligent driver — If someone driving a smaller vehicle makes an improper lane change or stops short in front of a truck, the trucker may not have enough time to make a corrective move and avoid a collision.
In the aftermath of a trucking accident, the responsible company often sends experts to the scene to investigate. Their goal is to assess the company’s potential fault for the accident and to gather evidence to limit their liability. Our auto accident attorneys match the immediacy of their response. Our prompt investigation is intended to assemble and preserve crucial evidence, such as forensic proofs and witness statements. We work with a team of respected experts that include accident reconstruction analysts, mechanics and engineers to establish the root causes of trucking accidents.
Determined lawyers deliver committed representation after serious injuries
Injuries from trucking accidents are often severe and they may be permanent or require an extensive period of time for recovery. A person involved in a truck accident may suffer from:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury or paralysis
- Back and neck injuries
- Broken bones
- Crushing injury
- Loss of limb
- Organ damage
More serious injuries come with higher medical bills and a greater impact on quality of life. Our lawyers meticulously compile evidence to demonstrate the full cost of your injury so we can fight to get you the maximum compensation possible. We are committed to helping you obtain damages for past and future healthcare costs, lost income, emotional distress and pain and suffering. If you have suffered the loss of a loved one in a trucking accident, we can file a wrongful death claim on your behalf.
Contact passionate Long Island trucking accident lawyers to schedule a free consultation
Located in Mineola, New York, the personal injury lawyers at the Law Office of Frank J. Cassisi, P.C. help trucking accident victims to pursue financial damages from trucking companies and other negligent parties. We represent clients hurt in accidents on Long Island and across the Greater New York City area. To schedule a free initial consultation with one of our attorneys, call 516-294-5050 or contact us online.