Accomplished Mineola Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Assist Riders
Established Nassau County law firm helps injured bikers win compensation
Motorcycle accidents are not the same as car collisions and other personal injury cases. The structure, maneuvering and handling characteristics of motorcyles create unique circumstances that often result in more severe injuries. At the Law Office of Frank J. Cassisi, P.C. in Mineola, we provide dedicated attention to ease your burden after an accident, pursuing the compensation you need to pay for medical and therapeutic services, make up for lost wages and cope with the changes in your quality of life. With more than 50 years of combined experience litigating civil cases, we proudly represent our neighbors on Long Island, throughout New York City and in Westchester and Rockland counties.
Seasoned lawyers explain higher risk of injuries from motorcycle laws play into fault determination
Compared to occupants of passenger cars, motorcyclists are more prone to serious injuries in an accident and, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, are more than 20 times more likely to die. Even an apparently minor accident can have a higher likelihood of extensive injury due to:
- Lack of adequate safeguards to protect riders
- Failure of motorists to detect or yield to motorcyclists
- Grave consequences when motorists tailgate or cut off a cyclist
- Effect of unsafe road conditions, such as potholes or uneven surfaces
The risks associated with motorcycles do not necessarily mean that a motorcyclist is more likely to be at fault for an accident. It is important to know that even if you violated New York law by failing to wear a helmet or by lane-splitting, you are not automatically at fault. In fact, in some cases lane splitting may be responsible for making an accident less disastrous than it could have been if the rider was directly in the vehicle’s path. Nevertheless, another driver or their insurance company may try to put an unfair share of the blame on you. Do not make the mistake of admitting fault before you speak with an attorney.
Experienced litigators build cases of driver and manufacturer negligence
During settlement negotiations and litigation, our seasoned auto accident lawyers provide skilled advocacy for motorcyclists injured by irresponsible drivers. In New York, motorcyclists are not bound by the same no-fault insurance rules that apply to other motorists. As an injured rider you are able to file a claim against the other driver or their insurance company, no matter the degree of harm suffered.
For a claim to be successful, you must be able to show that a negligent party was at fault. Accidents can often result if the driver was:
- Distracted — A driver who is on the phone or engaged in some other distraction may fail to see a nearby rider in time to avoid catastrophe. More than 40 percent of motorcycle collisions in 2017 involved a vehicle turning left and hitting a rider.
- Reckless — Speeding, failure to yield, improper use of turn signals and tailgating are among the types of reckless behavior that can have devastating consequences for riders.
- Impaired — If a person operates a vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol, they may have delayed reaction times and poor judgment, causing unpredictable and dangerous driving.
- Inexperienced — Young or inexperienced drivers may miscalculate the distance between their vehicle and a motorcycle or fail to properly adjust their driving to unfamiliar road conditions.
In some cases, a faulty or defective motorcycle part is to blame for an accident. When this occurs, we explore whether a manufacturer or designer neglected a duty of reasonable care.
We thoroughly investigate each case with the aid of a team of professionals that include motorcycle mechanics, forensic engineers and accident reconstruction analysts. In assessing damages, we also work with healthcare professionals, including neurologists specializing in motorcycle head injuries.
Regardless of the circumstances of your accident, we will work diligently to determine other motorists’ fault and to get you the full amount of compensation to which you are entitled.
Contact respected Long Island motorcycle accident attorneys to schedule a free consultation
Located in Mineola, New York, the Law Office of Frank J. Cassisi, P.C. works to protect and assert the rights of Long Island and New York City motorcycle riders who are injured in accidents. To schedule your free initial consultation with one of our qualified attorneys, call 516-294-5050 or contact us online.