(516) 294-5050

Injured in a car accident with the city or state? We can help.

Injured in a car accident with the city or state? We can help.

Car Accident Claims Against a City, State or Other Municipality

If you have been in a car accident in New York, it is important to know your rights. New York has its own laws for auto accidents. These laws cover what you should do after an accident and how you can get help if you are hurt. If another driver caused the accident, you might be able to get money for your injuries or car damage. If that driver was part of a municipality, special rules apply, and you need to act quickly to protect your rights.

Understanding your rights after an auto accident in New York can seem confusing. We know the laws and can guide you through the process. Whether you are already dealing with insurance companies, a government entity or thinking about legal action, we can help you understand your options and what steps to take next.

Special Considerations When Dealing with Municipal Vehicles

Municipal vehicle accidents in New York are different from regular car accidents. Municipal vehicles are cars, trucks, or buses owned by the city, state or other municipal organization. This includes police cars, fire trucks, and city buses. When these vehicles are involved in an accident, the rules for filing a claim can be different. This is because the government has certain protections and rules you need to follow.

When you are in an accident with a municipal vehicle, it is important to act quickly. You need to know that there are special steps to take. For example, you might need to tell the city or state about your claim within 90 days (by filing a “Notice of Claim”). There are strict deadlines for these kinds of claims. Missing these deadlines can mean you will not be able to recover from that entity for your injuries.

Our attorneys understand the unique challenges of accidents with municipal vehicles. We know how to handle these cases in New York and will help you understand the process and what to do next. We aim to ensure you meet all the deadlines and requirements so you can focus on getting better.

Timelines and Legal Process of Filing a Claim Against a Municipality

Filing a claim against a municipality in New York involves several steps. First, you need to file a “Notice of Claim.” This is a legal document that tells the city or state about your accident and your injuries. It is important to get this right because it starts your legal case. The Notice of Claim has to be filed within a specific time after your accident. This time is usually shorter than in regular car accident cases.

Usually, you have to file the Notice of Claim within 90 days of your accident. If you miss this deadline, you might not be able to get help for your injuries or damages.

After filing the Notice of Claim, there may be investigations and meetings. You might have to talk with representatives from the city or state. It is important to have all your information and documents ready, and our attorneys can guide you through this process. The city will want to know the details about the accident, including your injuries, treatments and any costs you have had because of the accident.

We can help you with each step of this process. Our lawyers know how to properly prepare and file the Notice of Claim promptly. We will also help you gather all the necessary information and guide you through meetings and discussions.

Gathering Evidence and Building a Strong Case

After an auto accident, especially with a municipal vehicle, gathering evidence is crucial. This evidence includes photos of the accident, your injuries, and any damages to your car. It is also important to get the names and contact information of witnesses. If the police came to the accident, get a copy of the police report. All of this information can help show what happened and who is responsible.

Documenting your injuries and damage is also important. Keep records of your medical visits, treatments, and any time you missed from work. If you had other costs because of the accident, keep those records, too. This can include things like car rental or help you need at home. All this information helps show how the accident affected you.

We are here to help you gather and organize this evidence. Our attorneys know what information is important and how to use it in your case. We can also help get other information that might be needed, like traffic camera footage or city vehicle records. Our goal is to build a strong case for you so you can get the help you need.

Potential Challenges and How to Overcome Them

Filing a claim against a municipality in New York can have challenges. One challenge is that the city or state might say they are not responsible for the accident. They might have special legal protections that make these cases harder. Understanding these protections and how to handle them is important for your case.

Another challenge is dealing with the legal process. This process can be long and complicated. There might be lots of paperwork and rules to follow. Sometimes, it can feel overwhelming, especially if you are also dealing with injuries and car repairs. Having someone who knows the process can make a big difference.

Our lawyers are ready to help you face these challenges. We understand municipalities’ legal protections and how to work with them. We also know the legal process and can guide you through it.

Seeking Compensation: What You Need to Know

When you are hurt in an auto accident with a municipal vehicle, you might be able to get money for your injuries and damages. This money can help pay for medical bills, car repairs, and any time you miss work. It can also help with other costs caused by the accident.

The amount of money you can get depends on different things. This includes how severe your injuries are, how much the accident cost you, and how it affected your life. Sometimes, calculating this amount is difficult. Accurate record keeping and documentation of all costs help us prove you are entitled to compensation.

Our lawyers can help you understand the types of compensation may receive. We examine all the information related to your injuries, and help calculate how much you may be legally entitled to receive. We work hard to help you get the maximum recovery for your injuries.

Contact Law Office of Frank J. Cassisi, P.C. to Discuss Your Municipal Vehicle Accident Lawsuit

If you have been in an auto accident with a municipal vehicle in New York, we are here to help. Our lawyers understand these cases and can guide you through the process. Having us on your side means you have someone who understands the law and how to use it to help you. We’ll take care of the legal work so you can focus on getting better.

You can call us at (516) 294 5050 to talk with one of our attorneys. We will listen to your story and explain how we can help. You can also submit a form to schedule a no-obligation consultation to talk about your case and what steps to take next.

"*" indicates required fields

Contact Us
For a Free Consultation

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Scroll to Top