Our Mineola Attorneys Handle Gender Discrimination Claims
New York lawyers represent all parties when there is an accusation of unequal treatment
Women and men in America are entitled to equal treatment. That’s not an opinion, it’s the law. Cassisi & Cassisi, P.C. works to ensure fairness by representing parties on all sides of gender discrimination claims. Whether you’re a woman who’s been denied a mortgage for a new home, or a business accused of gender discrimination, our attorneys are here to help.
Providing representation in a range of sex discrimination and gender discrimination cases
We handle sex discrimination cases in a variety of areas, including:
- Education (Title IX)
- Employment (Title VII)
- Parental rights
Our attorneys work to prevent discrimination, but also seek to stop abuse and unfair application of anti-discrimination laws.
Enforcing equal opportunities in education
The law guarantees male and female students equal opportunities in academics and extra-curricular activities, including sports, at most institutions that receive federal funding. While Title IX has leveled the playing field in women’s college sports, discrimination still affects many aspects of the educational system, including:
- Academic honors
- Financial Aid
Our attorneys help ensure fairness by representing both students and schools in discrimination cases.
Advocating fair employment practices
While much progress has been made in establishing equality in the workplace, sex discrimination still occurs in many areas and in many ways. We represent both employers and employees in matters concerning:
- Benefits. Even though women tend to be more costly to insure, the law requires they be given equal access to healthcare.
- Hiring. In the past, women have complained about not being hired or promoted due to gender, but discrimination now seems specific to occupations and industries. For example, women suffer from discrimination in engineering, while men find it hard to get hired as secretaries or promoted to management in cosmetics. In either case, the discrimination violates federal law.
- Firing. When layoffs seem to disproportionately affect one gender, discrimination may be at play.
- Pay. A person’s gender cannot be a factor in determining his or her salary or wages.
- Pregnancy. Refusal to hire or make reasonable accommodations for a pregnant person (or one who might become pregnant) is considered discrimination under federal law.
- Promotion. If all promotions seem to be going to employees of one gender, discrimination may be a factor.
- Sexual harassment. Perpetrating or tolerating this behavior is considered discrimination under federal law. Unwanted sexual conduct in the workplace is illegal if it is meant as a condition of employment or becomes so pervasive that it creates a hostile environment. The definition of sexual harassment is not gender-specific in regards to perpetrator or victim.
Our attorneys have the experience and knowledge to represent you or your organization in a discrimination case.
Ensuring access to fair housing
Housing discrimination based on sex is illegal under federal law. If you believe you’ve been denied a rental property or a mortgage to buy a home, simply because of your gender, we can help you file a fair housing complaint with the federal government and see it through to successful conclusion. If you or your business has been accused of housing discrimination, our attorneys do everything possible to fight the actions against you.
Contact an experienced New York gender discrimination claim law firm
To schedule a consultation to discuss a discrimination claim with Cassisi & Cassisi, P.C., call our Mineola, New York office at 516-252-3058 or contact us online.