If you have ever stumbled and fallen in a public space in New York, it is crucial to understand who is responsible. In these incidents, either the property owner or you might be at fault. The key is to figure out if the property owner was negligent. Did they fail to keep their space safe? For instance, if there was a broken sidewalk they did not fix, they might be to blame.
However, it is not always straightforward. Sometimes, you might also share some responsibility. Let us say you were not paying attention or were walking in an area you should not have been. In these situations, the blame might be shared. Our attorneys can help evaluate your case and determine who is legally responsible.
Steps to Take Immediately After a Trip and Fall Accident
Right after a fall, what you do is important. Here are the steps that you must take immediately after a trip and fall accident:
1. Seek Medical Attention: Your health is the top priority. Medical records will also serve as important documentation if you decide to pursue a legal claim.
2. Report the Incident: Ensure a formal report is made and request a copy for your records.
3. Document Everything: Take photographs of the accident scene, including specific conditions that contributed to your fall.
4. Collect Witness Information: If there were any witnesses, get their contact details
5. Do Not Give Statements: Be cautious about providing statements to property owners or insurance companies before consulting with an attorney.
6. Consult a Personal Injury Attorney: A lawyer experienced in slip and fall accidents can provide legal advice based on the specifics of your case.
New York Laws Governing Trip and Fall Incidents
In New York, laws about trip and fall accidents are specific. You need to know about the statute of limitations. This is the time limit you have to start a lawsuit. In New York, you generally have three years from the date of your fall. But, it can vary depending on the circumstances.
Another key point is the comparative negligence rule in New York. This means that if you are partly to blame for your fall, any compensation you receive can be reduced by your percentage of fault. For instance, if you are found to be 30% responsible, your compensation might be reduced by 30%. Understanding these laws can be complex, and our attorneys at the Law Office of Frank J. Cassisi, P.C. can help make sense of them for you.
Legal Recourse and Compensation: What Victims Need to Know
If you are injured in a trip and fall accident, you might wonder about compensation. In New York, you could receive money for medical bills, lost wages if you could not work, and even for pain and suffering. The amount depends on how badly you are hurt and how much the fall affected your life.
However, getting the compensation you deserve is not always easy. The property owner or their insurance company might try to pay you less than you need. This is where having a lawyer can really help. We can negotiate on your behalf and fight for the full compensation you deserve.
Contact tne Law Office of Frank J. Cassisi, P.C. to Discuss Your Trip and Fall Lawsuit
Have you been injured in a trip and fall incident in New York? Do not navigate this complex legal landscape alone. At the Law Office of Frank J. Cassisi, P.C., we understand your challenges and are ready to help. Our experienced lawyers will guide you every step of the way, from gathering evidence to fighting for the compensation you deserve.
If you think you have a case, do not wait. Contact us today to discuss your situation. You can reach us at (516) 294 5050 for a free consultation or submit a form on our website to schedule a consultation. Let us help you get the justice and compensation you deserve.